Name : Dr. Ashok Kumar
Organisation: Department of Earthquake Engineering, I.I.T. Roorkee
Date of Birth: July 24, 1951
Academic (B.E. degree onwards) Qualifications:
|1||B.E. (Hons.)||BITS, Pilani||First||1972||Mechanical Engineering|
|2||M.E.||UOR, Roorkee(now I.I.T. Roorkee)||First with Hons.||1974||Machine Design|
|3||Ph.D.||UOR, Roorkee(now I.I.T. Roorkee)||1993||Earthquake Engineering|
Present Professional Activities
- Working for development of India’s first earthquake early warning system
- Development of computer software using digital signal processing techniques for processing of strong motion earthquake data.
- Search for attributes of Earthquake Early Warning (EEW) System and development of algorithm for EEW.
- Seismic qualification of Electrical Equipment on shake table for design earthquake. These equipment are subsequently installed at important projects like Nuclear Power Plants after successful testing (about 35 testings/reports).
- Development of software for system identification using test data of shake table tests on the systems.
- Taught courses on Introduction to Earthquake Engineering, Theory of Vibrations, Solid Mechanics, Instrumentation, Model analysis, Digital Signal Processing and Numerical Analysis at various undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
- Have lectured as an invited lecturer for various specialist courses for practicing engineers and scientists.
- Co~ordinated specialist courses for engineers and scientists of different organisations like Nuclear Power Corporation, IMD, DST etc..
- Shake Table Laboratory comprising of 20 ton payload biaxial earthquake simulator
- Strong motion data processing laboratory
- Small shake table at CoEDMM and at DEQ
Awards and Posts Held in Important Bodies
- Convener, Subcommittee of CED 39 for revision of IS4967 -1968 “Recommendations for Seismic Instrumentation for River Valley Projects” of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
- Member, Earthquake Engineering Sectional Committee CED 39 of BIS
- Member, Working Group of CED 39 for Revision of Recommended Response Spectra of IS1893
- Member, Mechanical Vibration and Shock Sectional Committee MED 28 of BIS.
- Received Khosla award of University of Roorkee for the year 1992 for a research paper entitled “The Effect of Band limited interpolation of nonuniform Samples on Records of Analog Accelerographs” (authored with Basu,S. and Chandra, B.)
- Honorary Secretary, Indian Society of Earthquake Technology for 1993-95